As you know very well that the only way to protect yourself from covid19 is wearing a mask all day long. Mask is the new trend that is widely gaining popularity because of the covid 19 deadly viruses. This is the current need of every people. But do you know about the skin problems due to mask?
Yes! Maskne is a term that is getting viral nowadays. This is a skin condition that is mostly occurred because of wearing a face mask. Do you want to know the detailed information on maskne? If yes, then continue this article till the end!
What is maskne, and what are the skin conditions?
Maskne is a skin condition that is mostly occurred because of wearing a mask for a long time. When you cover your face for a huge time, then it creates various skin conditions, and those are as below.
- Acne: By wearing a mask for a long time can cause acne no matter what your age is. Acne mostly occurs when the skin pores are clogged with the oil. If you have so many dead skin cells and dirt, then it can result in whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, and many more!
- Rosacea: If you are a person suffering from the Rosacea already, then wearing a face mask can make your condition worst. Wearing a face mask for the whole time in this condition can cause swelling, redness, and breakouts.
- Folliculitis: This is another skin condition that mostly occurs when your hair follicles get infected. When you wear a mask on it, then it can create a bump on the skin that looks similar to acne but very painful as compared to acne. It causes itchiness and dry skin too.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis: This is a severe skin condition that is similar to skin inflammation. It can make your skin flaky, itchy, and red too. To recover from this, you need a lot of time.
- Atopic Dermatitis: The individuals who are going through this skin condition suffer from dry skin, itchiness, and cracks on the skin. Sometimes in severe conditions, your skin may bleed. It can cause skin infections too.
- Contact Dermatitis: The facial mask is prepared with different materials. Sometimes the fabrics of your mask don’t match with your skin that can lead to redness, irritation, and blisters. These mostly happen with people who have sensitive skin.
- Perioral Dermatitis: There are many people who feel rashes around their mouth by wearing a mask for a long time. This skin condition is known as perioral dermatitis. If you are already suffering from any skin condition, then you have a higher chance of getting affected with maskne.
What are the Causes of Maskne?
As we read the above, the maskne can produce various skin conditions. These skin conditions can vary according to the symptoms and depends upon person to person.
- When we wear masks for a long time, then it traps humidity that can cause problems in breathing & makes us sweat. This situation causes the risk of acne and other skin condition too.
- Another reason is the clogged pores that are mostly occurred wearing masks. Our skin has dead cells, oil, and bacterias. So, when you wear a mask for a long time, then you can increase the chances of a skin condition that leads to maskne.
- Friction also matters a lot and causes irritation on your skin. There is some mask which is prepared by using the chemicals that doesn’t suit your skin and can lead to itchiness and allergic reaction too.
What changes can I notice on my skin?
We all are going through busy lives, and we don’t have enough time to take care of things. So, if a skin problem occurs under your mask, then you will be able to treat yourself. In this case, you might see red bumps on the area, which are covered with a mask. But to recover from this, you can’t take off your mask because this is the only thing from which you can save from the covid virus transmission. Every skin responds in a different way. So, if you are going through this condition, then you can follow the below-discussed tips.
Who can get affected with Maskne?
If you are wondering that who can be more effective with this skin condition, then there is no such condition. Everyone can get affected by this. But sometimes, it also depends upon the skin type. Like if you are someone who has sensitive skin or someone who is already battling with a skin condition like acne, Rosacea, etc., then wearing a mask can worsen your condition.
How can you treat Maskne?
We can’t compromise with masks, right? This is the essential stuff that we have to wear all day long when we are outside. This is essential for safety and protection, and we need them badly. So, we should know how to deal with this situation by taking positive steps;
- Clean your face regularly: This is the very first step you should take to get rid of maskne. Cleansing your skin is an essential part of your life, and you can’t miss that. Cleansing skin helps to keep your skin radiant and healthy. It keeps you away from any skin condition. Ensure that you should wash your face as soon as you get up from your bed. Wash your face every time when you come back to your home. It will be better if you use lukewarm water to clean your face and pat it gently to dry it.
- Use a mild face cleanser: Washing your face with a mild cleanser can keep you away from the deadliest skin conditions. Through this, you can eliminate the excessive oil from your skin. You should avoid the perfume based cleansers and flavored cleansers because it holds so many chemicals in it. These can cause irritation and swell on your skin. In case if you have sensitive skin, then you should consult with the doctor.
- Use a mild moisturizer: Moisturizing your skin is beneficial after washing out. Most of the time, people who are suffering from skin conditions skip the moisturizing from their skin routine. But this is our craziest misconception. You can use a mild moisturizer to hydrate your skin after washing it out. Use a non-comedogenic moisturizer that blocks your pores but also hydrates your skin.
- Use prescribed ointments: If you are going through any skin condition and your dermatologist suggests any ointment or cream, then don’t skip it. A person having normal skin can also use lotions that contain ceramides to reduce itching and irritation.
- Do not use makeup:If you are already suffering from maskne, then stop using every skin product. Do less as much makeup as you can. You should skip your makeup until you recover from this. When you use highlighters, foundation, and blush, then it might clog your pores and cause issues for healing. So, to get faster healing, you can stop doing makeup until your skin conditions get better.
Advanced Skin Care Tips to Prevent Maskne
Besides the above points, there are some more advanced tips that you can follow to prevent skin problems due to mask . Maskne occurs on your face and the areas where you wear a mask, right? So, to keep away from them, you need here take some preventive measures.
- Choose the right mask: To get rid of maskne, the first thing you have to do is choose the right mask. Grab the right fabric that goes with your skin. Choose a mask that is made with cotton materials and breathable and makes you sweat less. Apart from that, make sure that the mask should fit you correctly. An ill-fitted mask can increase the causes of fungal infection on the skin.
- Wash your mask: Another way to say goodbye to maskne is by washing out your mask daily. Wash your mask every night before going to your bed. You should wash this with mild detergents. Make sure that the mask is completely dry before wearing it.
- Discard disposable mask: If you are wearing the disposable mask, then discard it after each use. Wearing the same disposable mask, again and again, is really unsafe for your skin and health too. So, keep discarding it after every use.
- Carry an extra mask: You should keep an extra mask with yourself every time. You should keep it in your purse or bag. If you are wearing the mask in the gym, then you should remove it after completing the session. Use a fresh mask after every gym session.
- Remove it every four hours: If you are using the mask for a prolonged time, then remove your mask within four hours for 10 minutes at least. Remove it and take some deep breaths and natural air. But make sure before touching your mask, sanitize your hands. However, after removing your mask, you should be aware of social distancing too.
- Consult with a doctor: If you are still fighting with maskne after following all these rules, then this is high time to consult with a doctor. Sometimes the natural tips or prevention measures can’t work for you, and it’s normal. In this case, you can meet with the dermatologist.
- Additional precautions: In additional precaution, you can apply petroleum jelly. Avoid trying any new skincare products at this time. Try to use fewer skincare products and walk confidently with a smile.
Maskne is a common skin problems due to mask , and you don’t need to be extra protection for this. It can happen to anyone because we all are wearing masks for a long time. To get rid of this annoying condition, the only thing you can follow is take preventive measures.
Products that you can try in Maskne:
If you are going through skin problems due to mask , then your dermatologist mostly suggests these skin products as in the below points.
- Pimple patches: Do you know about these? Well, this works as a game-changer. You can apply on your pimples as per the size and severity before going to your bed and wake up with a plane surface. You can also wear them under your mask without letting anyone know. These are helpful to deal with regular patches and cystic pimples.
- Hydrating moisturizer: When you have dry skin, then there are more chances of a breakout, right? So, to keep away from this, you need to use the right moisturizer that will hydrate your skin. You should also use ointments or creams on your faces suggested by your dermatologist. You can apply lip balm & facial toners too.
- Chemical exfoliant: Exfoliate your skin is good when you do this within a limit. You should not use a physical exfoliant, but you can use a chemical exfoliant once or twice a week. It helps to clear your skin and make it breathable.
Are you suffering from skin problems due to mask and having skin irritation? This is the right time to take some action on it and recover super fast from this new skin condition Maskne.
Everyone should know about this skin problems due to mask and how to treat them confidently. Now you can move confidently by wearing a mask for a long time by saying goodbye to Maskne!